Here are some things to expect and keep in mind when beginning the hunt for a new home with your REALTOR:
- Your REALTOR is most likely updating you via emails the homes that match your search criteria-make note of the MLS numbers of the ones you are interested in and forward them to him or her.
- Depending on the type and location of the property being viewed, appointments are generally booked 30-60 minutes apart.
- While each agent is different, I prefer not to overwhelm my clients with too many showings at once.
- Showings are generally scheduled to accommodate the buyer's schedule. Evening and weekend appointments are common.
- Most often showings are scheduled on fairly short notice. Some sellers may have extenuating circumstances but a smart seller will be flexible on appointment times.
- If the property in rented out, there is a 24 hour window the seller needs to give the tenant to show it, this may affect how quickly you are able to view a tenanted home.
- If multiple properties are scheduled to be viewed, your realtor will most likely be doing the driving. Being familiar with the area and having a chance to chat about each before and after is a benefit.
- In most cases the sellers will not be home.
- It is polite and customary to remove your shoes before touring the house.
- If the property is newly listed and/or in-demand, there may be multiple appointments scheduled. Don't feel rushed by others, take the time you need.
- Use all your senses to get a real feel for the house. What do you smell? How does the house make you feel? Squeaky floors?
- Take notes!
AFTER THE SHOWINGS
- First impressions are important! Look over your notes and compare the properties viewed. Did they meet your criteria and expectations?
- Ask questions and do your due diligence.
- Let your realtor know if you are interested in a second showing or making an offer, things can move quickly in the real estate world!